Mike Weatherley, the Conservative Member of Parliament for Hove and Portslade, has tabled a Parliamentary motion that supports the important safety information that was highlighted in Electrical Fire Safety Week.
Early Day Motion 562 draws attention to the number of house fires which were caused by electrical appliances, and calls on householders to check their electrical equipment in order to avoid preventable fires. The motion also commends the work of the Electrical Safety Council’s Fire Kills campaign and work nationwide by Fire & Rescue Services during Electrical Fire Safety Week, which ran from 24th-30th September.
According to the Electrical Safety Council, electrical fires have increased by a third since 2009, with 14,700 electrical fires last year. On average, around 2,500 people are seriously injured in electrical fires each year and 22 people are killed in such incidents. Electrical fires are commonly caused by overloading plug sockets, leaving appliances unattended or on overnight, and failing to clear air vents on fridges, freezers and microwaves.
Commenting, Mike said: “Electrical appliances are now the number one cause of fires in people’s homes. While much has been done to improve fire safety in recent years, there is still further to go until we stop hearing the tragic stories of people caught up in electrical house fires. I commend the life-saving work of the Electrical Safety Council in highlighting this issue during Electrical Fire Safety Week, which is why I was more than happy to table this motion.”