Mike Weatherley, the Conservative Member of Parliament for Hove and Portslade, is backing strong criminal justice measures that are being spearheaded by his Conservative colleagues in the Home Office and Ministry of Justice.
Mike actively campaigned for tightening up the legislation surrounding squatting in residential properties and so knows from first-hand experience that the Conservatives’ long-term plan to cut crime and keep people safe is working right across the country. Since the last election, crime is down by over 10%. Some of the policies that Mike is backing include:
- Ending the practice of police cautions for serious crimes.
- Forcing criminals to contribute to the cost of our courts.
- Locking up terrorists and child rapists for longer.
- Introducing life sentences for terror offences, including terrorist training.
- Punishing those who try to escape justice by increasing sentences for criminals who go on the run.
Commenting, Mike said: “I am proud to be part of a party that is tough on crime and holds criminals properly account for their actions. If someone plays by the rules they should be confident that justice will be on their side. While rehabilitation plays an important part in the criminal justice system, I fully support the strong measures that have been introduced since the last election.”